European rabbits (Oryctolagus cuniculus) are declared pests of agriculture in Western Australia under the Biosecurity and Agriculture Management Act 2007. As such, landholders are required to control rabbits on their properties. Even landholders not actively using their property are still legally obliged to control rabbits to protect their neighbours’ land from the impact of rabbits.
DO YOU HAVE A RABBIT PROBLEM AT YOUR PROPERTY?
Leschenault Biosecurity Group (LBG) can assist landholders with development of an integrated management approach to rabbit control using variety of control methods and tools. Contact us to discuss what is best for you and your property.
CONTROL STRATEGY CONSIDERATIONS
• The key to success is persistence. “One-off” efforts produce only short-term results as rabbit populations
can recover quickly even after successful control programs.
• Rabbits reproduce very effectively; complete elimination of rabbits is close to impossible.
• Maximum effectiveness is achieved by integrating appropriate, property-specific control methods.
• Best control is achieved in late summer when rabbit numbers are decreasing and feed is limited.
• Collaboration for community-wide control strategies can greatly reduce numbers and the problem of re-infestation
by covering a large area.
INTEGRATION OF MULTIPLE CONTROL METHODS ACHIEVES GREATER RESULTS
To optimise control of feral rabbits, a combination of tools and methods is required. Property-specific strategies may include targeted Calicivirus RHDV1-K5 releases, strategic fencing and tree protection, warren ripping and harbourage reduction, such as cleaning rubble and wood piles that may be used as refuge and more.
LBG can assist landholders with:
• Control advice specific to your property
• Calicivirus RHDV1 K5 releases during area-wide summer program
• Loan of surveillance cameras, traps and smokers for investigations of warrens and burrows
Contact us to discuss rabbit control strategies for YOUR property, including:
• Biological Control _ Calicivirus RHDV1 K5 Release Program (conducted during summer months)
• Harbourage reduction
• Exclusion fencing
• Warren ripping
• Baiting* and trapping
• Other as may be applicable to your property
CONTACT US by e-mail: email@example.com or phone: 0477 049 967
* Before commencing any baiting program, be aware of risks to native and other off-target species and strictly adhere to guidance specific to each product. For information on bait, poison and toxin (bait) products available for use in WA relevant to rabbits, please visit the following link: DPIRD_Rabbit control